He Mastered Loving Me


I’ve had a few of you ask, and I’m feeling many more of you thinking it, “What made your husband so special, and what did he do to make you feel so loved?”   Although the answers to these questions go far beyond what I’m communicating here, I want to at least start sharing some aspects about his love for me. 

You see, Jeff was different because he truly grasped that our marriage was a union birthed in the Spirit, and with that came a certain ease to reflect Love and many of its dimensions.  With that said (and he would remind me often of that truth), he was committed to having our union more specifically reflect the trinity.  He was committed to being submitted one-to-another, and believing that woman is not subservient to man according to God’s design and promise...they have mutuality.  He trusted me, which opened his heart to receiving loving challenges that only molded him into deeper godliness.   He thought of me before he would think of himself.  He met my needs before he would meet his own needs.  He disciplined himself to be interested in the things that interested me. 

This would play out in big and little ways.  In the many hours I’ve devoted to reflecting on our love, I’ve realized it was a culmination of it all that made me feel like the most lavishly loved woman in this world.  It wasn’t just the big things…it wasn’t just the small things.  It was all of it.  

The big things: 
Jeff was so confident in who he was as a man of God that he was able to free his mind from public ridicule or disapproval in his decision making process.  He gave up his world as he knew it to join mine.  What man does that?  Jeff Harter.  A man who is more committed to what God thinks than what man thinks.   

He embraced the idea of adopting our daughter without me even needing to ask him.  Again, it wasn’t something he ever saw himself doing, but he learned that’s what love does – it yearns to satisfy needs.   

He became more excited than me in wanting to have a baby.  Again, what man after age 50 even considers that?  Jeff Harter.  I witnessed this man’s heart being grafted into mine.  I saw him cry for the things that hurt me, laugh at the things that made my face full with a smile, tender towards my passions, and angry at the things that brought distress to me. 

The small things:
The day-in day-out things were never ending.  Jeff contended to see to it that every day he would romance me, and make me feel like his “queen.”  I must admit, in the 3 years we were together, he succeeded in this, and had we been together 50 more years, I know without a doubt this would still be true.  Jeff ingrained in me that a decision + determination and dedication will result in success.  He would say that I ingrained that in him.  You see, it’s a beautiful thing when 2 people truly become 1.  Jeff strived for that every day of our lives together. I see so many married couples who are supposed to be 1 but are the farthest thing from it.  Jeff would remind me of that truth often.  He would say things like, “You’re my very own person, and I’m your very own person!  This is the best feeling ever.”  Jeff taught me that repetition, albeit with words or actions, really makes it sink in and become so ingrained in one’s self.  Every day I got to hear one, some, or all of the following: you’re my Queen, we are one, what may I do for you, my Queen?, our love is eternal, you’re a cloud walker, you’re so beautiful, you’re so intelligent, you’re so amazing…and this list goes on and on.  I’ve erased from here many of the things he would remind me of daily because it’s just too much.  But it’s true.  He would tell me these things daily.  I think I got to humanly get glimpses of how God sees me.  Jeff did a remarkable job of doing that. 

He would make be breakfast or lunch or dinner just to make me feel taken care of. 

As I would drive up the driveway after being out all day he would light all the candles and make me feel so welcomed home.  

He would whisk me in his arms and twirl me about the room while singing a Frank Sinatra or Louie Armstrong song. 

He would pick me a flower and say something special while handing it to me.

He would tell me I make him the happiest man in the world. 

He would tell me, “I love my life.  Thank you.”  

He would say, “Tell me what you want, my Queen, and I’ll make it happen.” 

When we would go out for dessert or a meal, he would order whatever I ordered just so he could understand me more.  Three years, and he didn’t stop doing that. 

If we weren’t next to each other, he would come looking for me about every 15 minutes just to tell me “I love you” and to give a hug or delight a kiss. 

These things weren’t what happened every now-and-again.  They happened daily. 

In the time our lives were together, this man mastered the art of loving.  I say he mastered it because he made it look so effortless.  I know it was anything but effortless, and that’s why he mastered it.  He has left me with a deep deep deep understanding of love.  He used to always tell me, “I love you more than my next breath.”   Now I’m left missing him more than my next breath.  I ache for what we shared…it hurts so deeply I don’t know how to go on, but then I’m reminded that love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.  So here I remain…trying my best to get back up on those clouds where he always said I belong. 

Comments

Post a Comment